The Muay Thai Guys Podcast – Episode 63
Becoming a sponsored fighter to “eat, sleep, breathe Muay Thai,” is a dream of almost any Nak Muay.
The image of sleeping in the gym and grinding away in the heat beside beautiful scenery is a fantasy that brings a special kind of romanticism. Dependent on the gym and its stipulations the journey may or may not be what you have fantasized, however, the character and skill built in this endeavor is an inevitable asset.
As many of you may know Paul has taken close to a year of his life journey in Thailand and dedicating 8 of those months to grinding it out as a sponsored fighter between three Thai gyms. Taking this experience for those who have this fantasy, the Muay Thai Guys bring you the reality of what it is like to live at a Muay Thai camp:
- The ownership by the gym – representation and your last name, being a model within the gym to new comers
- Being held to a different standard – an experience that you do not witness as a paid client.
- What you are used to, versus what you will be doing.
- The “cultural experience” or inexperience
- The repercussions of showing weakness, the repercussions of the training and the ultimate benefits and growth involved.
*All Experiences are Gym Dependent, but many share the same type of general and cultural principals.
Click here to subscribe on iTunes
Click here to subscribe on Stitcher
Have any questions or suggestions for future podcast topics? Comment below with your thoughts and maybe your topic will be covered in the next episode!
- Sean "Muay Thai Guy" Fagan owns & operates the largest online Muay Thai community and the #1 training resource for nak muay of all levels.