The Muay Thai Guys Podcast – Episode 14
As a fighter, it is extremely important to have a trustworthy, experienced, prepared cornerman with you between rounds of your fight.
A quality corner should be able to provide you with technical advice between rounds AND they should also know how to get you zoned in and focused during your warm up before entering the ring. They’ll also know the ins-and-outs of dealing with swelling, cuts and a number of other injuries you might have to fight through… because the LAST thing you want is the fight to stop because your cornerman didn’t know how to patch up a cut fast enough between rounds.
Needless to say, a lot more goes into being a top quality cornerman than meets the eye, and that’s why Paul (www.muaythaiathlete.com) and Sean of The Muay Thai Guys Podcast invited experienced coach Jason Farrell to share his knowledge on the subject. In this great podcast episode they cover everything you need to know in order to be a great cornerman including:
Click here or the podcast player at the top to listen to TMTG 014: Keys To Being a Great Cornerman with Coach Jason Farrell
- How to get your fighter to remember the advice you give him between rounds.
- A few key phrases that can refocus your fighter.
- What cornerman tools and equipment you should pack for fight night.
- What goes into a quality warmup while waiting in the locker room.
- How the warmups and game planning can change dramatically depending on if you’re cornering an amateur as opposed to a pro fighter.
- How to go about cornering fighters you’ve never trained before.
- And much, much more!
The guys also talk about Paul’s recent victory at Madison Square Garden, Sean’s tough unanimous decision loss at Lion Fight 26, Ronda Rousey’s lackluster cornermen and much more!
Click here or the podcast player at the top to listen to the entire episode where Paul, Sean and Jason go into even more detail on the importance of a quality cornerman.
The Muay Thai Guys come out with NEW episodes almost every week! Make sure you don’t miss one by subscribing via one of the options below:
Click here to subscribe on iTunes
Click here to subscribe on Stitcher
Have any questions or suggestions for topics? Contact Sean or reach out to Paul on Muay Thai Athlete or comment below with your ideas and maybe your topic will be covered in the next episode!
- Sean "Muay Thai Guy" Fagan owns & operates the largest online Muay Thai community and the #1 training resource for nak muay of all levels.