Resident photog of dazzling violence, Walt Zink, is back with another recap – this time, of GLORY 61 in NYC. . .
WALT ZINK’S PHOTO RECAP OF GLORY 61
GLORY would make its return to New York City, this time at the gorgeous Hammerstein Ballroom. The night would feature two title bouts and plenty of fireworks.
Sitthichai Sitsongpeenong VS. Josh Jauncey
Sitthichai had previously fought – and defeated – Josh Jauncey a couple of years back. This rematch got a little testy, with Sitthichai admitting he wanted to KO Jauncey this time around. Sitthichai would consistently land hard left kicks on Jauncey throughout the bout. To Jauncey’s credit, he hung tough with the Thai superstar and made this a good fight. It wasn’t enough, though, as Sitthichai would retain his title belt with a unanimous decision.
Anissa Meksen VS. Jady Menezes
Anissa Meksen was looking for revenge against Jady Menezes after losing their previous match. The general public felt that Meksen was robbed of a decision win the last go around and Meksen made this one a no-brainer by earning a TKO win in just the second round to regain her belt.
Chris Camozzi VS. Myron Dennis
Myron Dennis did a lot of talking leading up to this fight but when it came down to it, Chris Camozzi performed. He kept Dennis off balance and never let him get into any type of rhythm or ring control. Camozzi would earn an easy unanimous decision with a score of 30-27 across the board.
Alan Scheinson VS. Omari Boyd
This battle of welterweights would ultimately see Omari Boyd keep his Glory record unblemished against the Argentine Alan Scheinson. Scheinson worked hard to put pressure on Boyd but never really garnered any momentum against a very patient and technical Boyd. The judges would give the edge to Boyd, who saw his GLORY record improve to 5-0.
The superfight series would see many high profile fights in its own right.
- Kevin VanNostrand would take a unanimous decision versus a game Massaro Glunder.
- Asa Ten Pow continued his successful run in GLORY with a unanimous victory against Greece’s Niko Tsigaras.
- Charles Rodriguez gained an odd victory after winning by technical decision against Malik Watson–Smith after only two rounds.
- Justin Houghton dominated Vince McGuinness to win his second consecutive fight and improve to 3-3 in GLORY .
- In the first fight of the series, Chommanee Sor Taehiran would take a highly contested split decision against hard-hitting Canadian Ashley Nichols.
- Walt has been involved in Muay Thai since 2013, having two in-ring fights under his belt. His main passion, though, is photography. See more of Walt's work at www.instagram.com/walt_zink_photography.