Muay Thai Guy Podcast Episode #45
Interview With Eric Haycraft
I’m going to go out on a limb and say that this was the most informative, insightful and intriguing podcast I’ve done to date. Eric Haycraft has been a kickboxing nerd and fight fanatic for longer than I’ve been alive and his involvement with the sports growth here in America has been HUGE.
Eric is a talent agent for GLORY and his job is to find US talent to showcase on the world stage. He gives insight on what he looks for in potential GLORY fighters, and also shares his advice on what steps you should take in order to stand out from the crowd so that one day you can have the chance to fight on the biggest kickboxing organization in the world!
Besides working for GLORY, Eric also runs one of the best Muay Thai and kickboxing programs in the states. His gym “Real Fighters” in Louisville, Kentucky routinely produces top amateur talent that brings home belts in nearly every tournament they take part in. I get to pick his brain about what kind of training his fighters go through, his philosophy on sparring, and much more.
I’m telling you, do not miss this episode because it’s LOADED with knowledge. Besides what I mentioned before, Eric and I also discuss a lot of other topics like:
- The beginnings of GLORY and how he got involved with the organization.
- Why kickboxing and Muay Thai are two different sports and what the differences between them are.
- The rules of GLORY and what judges look for when scoring fights.
- How building an amateur career is crucial for any fighter, especially here in America.
- Why an amateur record matters and why you should care about winning and losing.
- What kind of characteristics and fighting style he looks for when searching out new talent.
- How GLORY and the UFC can help each other continue to grow, and how there is potential to make a decent living off of kickboxing (if you work hard enough).
- The type of training program he puts his fighters through to be prepared for a fight.
- His philosophy on why sparring hard multiple times a week is beneficial for his fighters.
- The difference between “Dutch style” and “Thai style” kick boxing, and why he prefers Dutch.
- And much, much more!
Click here or on the podcast player at the top of the page to listen to MTG045: Eric Haycraft Talks GLORY kickboxing, Dutch Style Training, Developing an Amateur Career and a TON more.
Make sure to check out GLORY World Series for upcoming fight cards and to email your resume for a chance to fight for the biggest kickboxing promotion.
If you like the podcast make sure to leave a review and rating to help the show grow! The more reviews I get, the more popular the show will get and the more I can help spread this awesome sport!
Let me know what you thought about the interview in the comment section below!
- Sean "Muay Thai Guy" Fagan owns & operates the largest online Muay Thai community and the #1 training resource for nak muay of all levels.