The Muay Thai Guys Podcast – Episode 12
Or maybe you’ve hit a plateau or have been getting picked apart by your training partners on a regular basis?
Whether it’s your 1st or 100th sparring session, there is ALWAYS something that you can be improving on.
In the most recent Muay Thai Guys Podcast, Sean and Paul share their 10 best Muay Thai sparring tips that can help any Nak Muay improve their technique and overall fighting skills.
During their chat they go into insane detail about each specific training tip, but for a brief rundown for what they cover, check out this post from the archives ===> Your First Spar Checklist (Sparring Tips for Beginners)
Click here or the podcast player at the top to listen to TMTG 012: The 10 Best Muay Thai Sparring Tips
Quick Review – Top 10 Best Muay Thai Sparring Tips
- Get approval from your Kru/Instructor before throwing yourself into sparring sessions.
- Buy and invest in top quality sparring equipment (ie. shin guards, gloves, mouth guard, cup etc.)
- Remember that you don’t need to “win” at sparring–they key is about improving your skills, not “winning”.
- Know what to look for when choosing the right sparring partner for your skill level.
- Test out and get a feel for your sparring partner… don’t start off by throwing bombs at 100%!
- Diversify your strikes and try to get used to using your weaker techniques.
- Throw combinations to test out your opponents reactions/defense so you can capitalize on openings.
- Practice countering! You won’t always be the aggressor so knowing how to fight while backing up is crucial.
- Learn how to be relax, breathe and be aware of everything that’s going on during your Muay Thai sparring session.
- Have fun! This is by far the most important sparring tip for Muay Thai that we can give you.
Click here or the podcast player at the top to listen to the entire episode where Paul and Sean go into extreme detail on how to get the most out of your sparring sessions for Muay Thai!
The Muay Thai Guys come out with NEW episodes almost every week! Make sure you don’t miss one by subscribing via one of the options below:
Click here to subscribe on iTunes
Click here to subscribe on Stitcher
Have any questions or suggestions for topics? Contact Sean or comment below with your ideas and maybe your topic will be covered in the next episode!
- Sean "Muay Thai Guy" Fagan owns & operates the largest online Muay Thai community and the #1 training resource for nak muay of all levels.