The Muay Thai Guys Podcast – Episode 8
What characteristics separate an average fighter from a great one?
This is an age old question that can be answered in a number of ways. In this episode of The Muay Thai Guys Podcast, Sean and Paul discuss the top 6 traits they believe are the most important for becoming an elite fighter.
Here’s a quick breakdown of what they chat about during the episode:
Top 6 Crucial Attributes Elite Fighters Possess
1. Work Ethic – Are you putting in the hours at the gym when your opponent is resting at home? Or are you sleeping in on the days you’re supposed to do some road work? Without a focused, intense worth ethic, it’s going to be difficult to compete at the highest levels.
2. Consistency – It’s extremely hard to stay hungry when you’re dealing with personal issues related to work, family, and other relationships. It’s even harder when you get injured or have a major setback that keeps you from training. Being able to continue putting in the hours even when you’re struggling with other areas of life is essential if you reach mastery levels.
3. Ability to Sacrifice – On a friday night are you clubbing until 3am or are you eating a healthy dinner and getting to bed at a reasonable hour? As a dedicated martial artist you have to be disciplined enough to sacrifice things like time with family and friends, dessert foods, and social events.
4. Confidence/Self-belief – The power of belief has been studied by science and it’s been clear that believing in yourself has a huge impact on whether or not you reach your goals. Every one fears failure, but if you want to be great you have to believe in yourself even when faced with adversity.
5. Addictive Personality or a Bit of Crazy (Irrationality) – Besides the obvious fact that you gotta be kinda crazy to fight, you have to be even more delusional if you want to accomplish great things.
6. Intrinsic Motivation – A true martial artist is always striving to better themselves through their training. As a competitor in a sport like Muay Thai, the intrinsically motivated are the ones that will persist and keep pushing when others who are extrinsically motivated will give up and quit.
PLUS a preview of the upcoming GLORY 24 fights in Denver and Lion Fight 25!
Click here or the podcast player at the top of the page to listen to TMTG 007: Why We Train Muay Thai
The Muay Thai Guys come out with NEW episodes almost every week! Make sure you don’t miss one by subscribing via one of the options below:
Click here to subscribe on iTunes
Click here to subscribe on Stitcher