What’s in a name anyway?
Marcel the Shell: Guess what I want but I’m not gonna beg for it?
Marcel the Shell: A nickname. Because you can’t—you can’t make it for yourself like you can make
yourself a new hair style, but you can’t say well now I go by the name of the general or whatever…
If you haven’t seen Marcel the Shell with Shoes On, go watch it. Now.
Not about quirky animal videos? It’s cool. (You’re missing out.)
Anyway, the little crustacean makes a valid point. You can’t just go out and give yourself a nickname. I was asked to make a list of my top ten favorite Muay Thai fighter nicknames—funny thing is I have been trying to figure out mine for a while now. But as Marcel says, “you can’t make it for yourself like you can make yourself a new hair style…”
So, while friends of mine tried out some on me (Killer Kale, Violence, Watch Out, Ninja Turtle… they just kept getting better), I went to work researching fighters and their nicknames.
I found some pretty badass ones and some absurd. Personally, I think the crazier the nickname, the
M16? Who wants to fight someone with an assault rifle for a nickname?
Purple People Eater? What? Huh? I’m not even sure what that means. I had to Urban Dictionary it and that definition doesn’t make sense either. Either way, it’s intimidating. So here they are, my top ten fighter nicknames:
Top 10 Muay Thai Fighter Nicknames.
(In no particular order)
They are all equally badass, and a million times better than Killer Kale.
1) Noom “Woodenman” Chaiyasen (Aka Jongsanan)
He’s so tough, he surpasses human and just becomes the Woodenman.
2) “Smokin” Jo Nattawut
He leaves his opponents in the dust. Enough said.
3) Kevin “Soul Assassin” Ross
I mean… need I say more. Soul. Assassin. He’s literally snatchin’ souls.
4) Tiffany “Timebomb” VanSoest
When she goes off, there’s no time to run for cover. You’re done for.
5) Iman “Pretty Killer” Barlow
You might think you look good when you get in the ring, but Iman will make sure when you leave… you will think otherwise.
6) Sambaa “M16” Somdet
Again, nicknamed after an assault rifle. AN ASSAULT RIFLE.
7) Justin “Purple People Eater” Greskiewicz
I’m at a loss here. I don’t know where this nickname came from or why, but it sounds crazy. And I like it.
8) Ramon “The Turbine From Hell” Dekkers
Fighting anything from hell doesn’t sound like a good time, let alone a machine.
9) Angela “Overkill” Hill
Excellent play on Angela’s last name.
10) Germaine “The Iron Lady” de Randamie
A combination of class and power. She’s going to kick your ass, but be a lady about it.
Did we miss anyone? Who do you think has the most badass nickname in the game?
- I have trained Muay Thai for a little over four years, fought 8 times (getting ready for the 9th!) and I became a trainer this year. I also work for my gym, Tampa Muay Thai, handling membership relations aka I’m the party planner, event maker, question handler, and social media extraordinaire. My world revolves around Muay Thai – crazy thinking 3 years ago, I was a personal stylist for a clothing store and told my mom I was doing Muay Thai for fitness and would never EVER fight because I had stage freight. A bit about me beyond the ring - big fan of kale and peanut butter, you’ll always see me eating healthy, but occasionally I enjoy chocolate, dark chocolate, in the form of chocolate mousse. As any good Florida girl- I love the sunshine and anything outdoors.